28 February 2006

third strange thing . . .


. . . for the day; or should i say fourth - the latter being that this is my third bloggy for the day when i've otherwise not posted for weeks

i was rushing to attend a training course this afternoon, quickly stopping at a little machine we have where one can buy tea/coffee/soup (i have a secret key so that i don't have to pay - more on this later). so i got my soup and for whatever reason, my hand jerked a bit when i pulled it out from the little dispenser thing. the soup splashed onto my hand and was hot, hot, hot! i dropped it on to the ground (sidenote: somehow the cup stayed upright and nothing else spilled out - remind me to try tying some to a cat's back and/or a piece of buttered bread)

i tried to remain calm as there were people all round, so i quickly ran upstairs to the ladies and who was stood there fluffing her hair when i ploughed in but the supreme boss of the company. that probably doesn't sound that exciting, but she is a superifically-well respected woman, not only around the place but to the global economic, political and business world in general (again with the crypticness - my apologies). and a rare sighting. many people think of her as our own built-in celeb, including people who have worked there for over a decade

we've never met before, and there she was looking at me, and there i was with soup dripping from my hand. i quickly just said 'oh, oh ms xxxx, how lovely to see you and finally meet you (as i'm thrusting my hand under the cold running tap, wearing jeans and a pseudo-retro t-shirt that says something like 'we serve it hot and fresh' )', 'my name is xx and i work in xx dept and we've never met before'. she said hello and made to shake my hand, when i blurted out 'oh sorry, i would shake your hand, but i've just burnt it quite badly and may still have soup on it'. cue thunderous laughter, in retrospect. even for those who've never met me - can you not just picture it?

so she made to leave and sort of tut-tutted about my hand, nice to meet you, out she went and back under the cold water my ouchy hand went. someone had been in one of the stalls the entire time, and i was so pleased it didn't end up being someone i knew. i could not help but laugh to myself in the mirror, and the woman next to me washing her hands began to laugh as well, even though she had no idea what had just happened

really, you can't make this stuff up . . .

nb: for those concerned, i got a cold pack for my hand, went to my training course, the ice melted after about 20mins, and my hand remains a bit red. fortunately, we've an
aloe plant in our office (as one does), so i slathered that on when i got back. still a bit red, though....

nb2: note i may well have dealings with afore-mentioned extra-special boss lady, as she is heavily involved in the
project for which i've an interview on friday. had i my full faculties about me at the time, i would have mentioned this. but in case she forgets the incident, it might be better i didn't, in case we soon meet again more properly!

Current mood: amused

No comments: